Thursday, November 10, 2005

I remember husking corn on sunny September afternoons.

My mother grew a huge garden, really truly huge...the canning and freezing of produce kept our family of six in vegetables all winter long. This meant a lot of work for us kids, a lot of weeding all summer long, a lot of picking of peas and carrots and raspberries and tomatoes and beans and......well, you get the picture. The day we husked corn, though...that was maybe my favourite day.

Dad and my older sisters would be picking corn all morning, and my little sister and I would cart it in our little red wagon to a sunny spot beside the house and dump it in a mountainous pile, then head back to the garden for another load. Once all the corn was picked, then we started husking.

Can you smell the warm sun heating the pile of corn so it smells like golden bread? Can you see the pale green and yellow as we strip ear after unashamed ear naked of their husks? To me the whole memory is infused with slanted September sunlight, gilding every kernel of corn, every strand of silk, every bug hiding in the husks with harvest gold. We would make wigs of the silk, we would make dolls of the husks, it seemed the whole of the day was filled with play...yet somehow we always made it to the bottom of the pile.

I think I needed this memory to prod me to approach work now as I did then...how do I make it fun for myself? How do I remove the drudgery and replace it with joy?

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Sounds beautiful and wonderful, Paula. Hey! It looks like I'll be going down next weekend... for 5-6 days, maybe I'll be able to drop in and see you and your family. That would be fun....

Spoke said...

Hmmmmmmmmmm, corn husking huh? I quite like the image of Foghorn Leghorn eating an ear of corn that the "mangy dog" wired to an electrical device...pop corn,its the way to go.Whats the deal with Taber corn? People bragging on that need to go to Yarrow BC and further West for "Peaches and Cream" yes, it tastes like its called.As far as Gilded bugs in the husks...beauty is realized when you tear open an ear and a gorgeous "wolf-spider" peers out at you...thats memory stuff right there!

Me said...

Hey Paula... Shari here
Wow. I find myself wishing I had husked corn a lot when I was a kid. I could just about smell and see everything you described.

layne (herman) said...

came across this:
http://www.lionbrand.com/patterns/kms-corn.html

and i was reminded of your post.

Paula said...

OK, everybody, you need to go visit the link that Papa Herman posted above....it's so dang cute!!! It made me smile, and I wasn't feeling very smiley, either.

Yay!